The single-family house became the dream and the ultimate objective of most families and individuals. Yet, due to modern development it has lost much of its historical significance. This significance that was present in the house, the neighborhood, the community and psychological dwelling. The main goal of the architecture of the house is to psychologically, socially and practically create high quality life for its residence.
From a design point of view, any house has always been a significant manifestation of architectural projects and one of the main elements of the urban fabric. Renowned architects gave special attention to that because it is one of the major architectural and urban expressions.
We can see clearly that the Kuwaiti house went through various phases – from the traditional house to the sixties ‘till date. Architects and planners give special attention to and track those changes and are fully aware of the criteria that give special status to the single-family house, which include:
- Housing in any city is considered one of the main land uses. Thus, planners must provide a careful balance between the various housing alternatives, such as single family house, medium density housing options and high density housing in the form of high rise apartment buildings.
- The single-family house is particularly important for Kuwaitis, as it has been the preferred option for most middle-income families. It has been the dream, the objective and measure of stability, security, success and self-actualization.
- Due to the nature of urban development in the State of Kuwait, the single-family house became the most common building type in the metropolitan area. Residential areas are the main background of the country. Thus, it is crucial to give residential areas special attention as they are the measure of urban quality in Kuwait.
- The single-family house directly expresses the culture and level of aesthetic taste of the society.
- The significant of the single-family house is closely tied to the cultural and social structure of the population; its significance is derived from values such as privacy, segregation and social gathering.
- What is more, the single-family house gives architects a chance to express their architectural language and to present to society a unique architectural language that stands out from the rest. The single-family house has always been the gate for many of the world’s creative architects.
We need to develop the concept of the single-family house in Kuwait. We should contribute to changing it, but without negligence to its significance, and understanding its roots.